Understanding the different insurance providers, and the types of insurance they offer can be overwhelming. To help facilitate an informed decision, two companies, Aetna and Fidelity Security Life Insurance Company (FSL), will be compared on the basis of which types of insurance policies they are currently able to provide.
Start saving money today by comparing various insurance companies by entering your ZIP code into our FREE quote analysis tool!
Aetna coverage is available in the following states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and The District of Columbia.
Aetna offers tailored coverage options, including:
Individual Health Insurance Plans
Individual Health Insurance Plans, as the name suggests, are bought by individuals, not companies or groups. This option is preferable for people who are not afforded coverage through their employers or other common avenues. Although this type of policy is bought by one person, the purchaser may choose to insure eligible family members under the policy as well.
Group Health Insurance Plans
Group Health Insurance Plans are often by employers to qualified employees. What qualifies an employee for health coverage varies by company and often depends on whether the employee is a full-time worker and how long the employee has been with a particular company.
Fidelity Security Life, on the other hand, is authorized to conduct business in all states, but does not offer every product to every state.
FSL primarily offers group insurance policies. However, to comply with specific state laws, some products are tailored for individual policies.
Types of Plans Available
Aetna offers three major types of plans, though more are available in limited states:
- Preferred Provider Organization Plans (PPO) - The PPO plan through Aetna offers covered access to a network of doctors, hospitals and specialists, with no referrals necessary. PPO plan coverage extends to annual exams, outpatient surgery, specialist care, pharmaceuticals, hospital visits, and emergency care. Benefits for care outside of the covered network are also available, however, the customer will pay a larger percentage of the costs.
- Managed Choice Plan - Similar to the PPO plan, this option allows customers to choose a health care provider at their own discretion, though those who choose in-network providers will be afforded greater coverage. Covered services include visits to primary physicians, pharmaceuticals, lab work and annual physicals.
- Preventive and Hospital Care Plan - This plan is preferable for those who are interested in affordability, and only need coverage for basic health care services, such as home health care, annual exams, hospital stays and outpatient surgeries. The customer selects annual deductible amounts.
Fidelity Security Life primarily offers indemnity plans, in exception to their vision insurance which is offered as a PPO plan. Major elements of the indemnity plan are:
- With an indemnity plan, the insured may use any medical provider.
- The insured must often pay for services upfront.
- After the insured pays the health care provider, the insurance company is sent a bill, either by the insured or by the health care provider.
- Often, the insured must reach an out-of-pocket deductible before becoming eligible for reimbursement for expenses.
- Once the deductible amount is reached, the indemnity plan pays a percentage of medical expenses
- That percentage is based off of what insurance companies refer to as a “usual and customary” charge
- If the fee charged by the health care provider exceeds the “usual and customary” charge, the insured is required to pay the excess amount
- Many indemnity policies have an out-of-pocket maximum, meaning the insured will only be responsible for a maximum amount per year before full coverage commences.
Types of Coverage Offered
Aetna has a variety of insurance coverage plans available, including:
- Aetna’s medical insurance gives you access to a network of doctors and specialists throughout covered states.
- Aetna also provides products and programs for different stages of life.
- Dental insurance through Aetna may cover a variety of dental health services, from braces to teeth cleaning.
- Disability insurance through Aetna is only offered through employer-provided plans, not by individual purchase.
- Short and long-term protection is available.
- The amount received is most often based on the insured’s annual income.
- Life insurance through Aetna is only offered through employer-provided plans, not by individual purchase.
- Aetna offers several types of group insurance plans, including Basic Term Life, Supplemental Term Life, Dependent Life Insurance, and Accidental Death and Personal loss insurance.
Student Health Insurance
- Aetna student health coverage is available for individual purchase through plans sponsored by colleges or universities.
- This insurance may be purchased even when a student is on a parent’s insurance policy.
- Student health coverage is often required for students traveling overseas.
Fidelity Security Life offers three main types of insurance:
- $100,000 health insurance per year maximum per person
- Hospital confinement indemnity benefits
- Coverage for diagnostic procedures, office visits, x-rays, and outpatient testing
- A variety of life insurance policies are available through FSL, with coverage amounts depending on employer participation
- FSL provides Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage, as well as 3-way accident and travel accident coverage.
Although Fidelity Security Life Insurance Company offers dependable services and products for its customers, Aetna has a greater variety of products available to a more varied customer base. Since Aetna can be easily purchased by individuals in many states, the average customer would likely prefer its services over those of FSL.
Why settle for paying more than you should for insurance? Utilize our FREE quote analysis by entering your ZIP code in the blank below to start saving now!