After an accident or crash, motorcycle insurance is likely to increase. This is especially true if the motorcyclist is the one who caused the accident. Liability in an accident will determine greatly how much of an impact you will see on your motorcycle insurance.
Compare online insurance quotes for your motorcycle by entering a zip code now!
Since insurance is all about risk, it makes sense that if you have had an accident you are more likely to have another, therefore your insurance must be charged accordingly. The Insurance Services Office’s (ISO) recommendation for insurance increases after an accident is 20-40% of the base rate of the insurance. They suggest a 20% increase for multi-car policies, but 40% for a policy with only one car.
Company Variations Concerning Rates Following an Accident
The different companies each have their own way of dealing with rate changes following an accident or crash. You will find that while some stay within the standard range of 20-40% higher than the base rate while others may even change 100% more. Typically this is likely to happen to when multiple changes happen at the same time, like accidents and the purchase of a new, expensive car.
Certain other insurers will actually give accident forgiveness to their customers that face a first-time accident. This is more likely to happen for small accidents and those who have had an exceptional driving record. The longer your driving record is unblemished the more likely you are to qualify for accident forgiveness. Other companies may charge as little as only a 10% rate hike following the first accident.
Ways to Bring Down the Cost of Your Motorcycle Insurance
Anyone looking for motorcycle insurance quotes will be happy to know that there are ways to save money on coverage. Those who find themselves with an increase in premiums following an accident or crash, will be even more excited. Knowing what they are will help you always make sure you get the lowest price ans best motorcycle insurance rates possible.
- If you put more than one motorcycle on the same policy, you will save on the rate per motorcycle. This is the same as with car insurance policies. 1 policy for multiple vehicles is always more competitive in price than multiple policies.
- Completion of a motorcycle safety course will earn you a discount on your rates as this shows a higher level of responsibility than the norm.
- Most companies offer a multi-line discount for insuring your car with the same insurer. Depending on the insurer, you may also get a multi-line discount if your homeowners insurance or life insurance is through the same company as your motorcycle.
- Being a mature rider will definitely give you a better price on the cost of your motorcycle insurance. This is a simple matter of statistics. Older drivers are less likely to cause and be involved in accidents because they drive more carefully, as a group, than young drivers.
- Owning a smaller bike that is less powerful or one with a lower value will also help you to get a lower price on your motorcycle insurance.
If you live in an area with winter weather conditions, where it is impossible to use your motorcycle for a portion of the year, make sure you get a “lay-up” policy for the portion of the year you are not using the bike. This gives only comprehensive coverage to your bike and saves a lot on your premium.
The payment terms you choose for your policy will often get you savings on the cost of your coverage. Payment in full usually gets you the best discount, but automatic withdrawals from your bank account are an advantageous way to pay also.
Getting the Best Price on Motorcycle Insurance
If you find that your motorcycle insurance increases significantly following an accident or crash, it will be more important than ever to shop around to get the best price possible on your coverage. Luckily you do not need to spend lots of time getting those quotes. By simply using a free online quote tool, you can get multiple quotes simultaneously.
The quote tool gathers your relevant information concerning your motorcycle insurance needs, your driving record and the bike itself. This information is given to companies offering motorcycle insurance in your area. Before you know it you will have a selection of quotes from top companies to compare and choose from.
Compare these quotes based on the prices, the company’s customer service record and the economic outlook for the company. You can get information about customer service by doing an online search of reviews of the specific company. Most information is available through the state’s department of insurance. You can get the financial status of a company by learning its rating from one of the independent insurance ratings companies like A. M. Best, Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s. If you’ve suffered a motorcycle insurance increase after an accident or crash or are looking for a new company for any reason, don’t delay.
Get started comparing motorcycle insurance rates by simply entering your zip code today!