If you think that your policy for auto insurance or home insurance is weird because it’s difficult to understand then wait until you check out some of these weird insurance policies below. From celebrities insuring body parts to people purchasing alien abduction insurance (yeah…) there are a lot of strange insurance policies out there.
One thing is for certain though, no one wants to pay more money than they have to for insurance. Enter your zip in on this page for free insurance quotes!
Weird Insurance Policies
One of the primary things that insurance does for a person, beyond the monetary elements, is to make one feel secure. People insure their homes so that they can no that whatever happens, they’ll be provided for and have a place to live. Health insurance helps to absorb the cost of medical care and can reduce the impact of catastrophic accidents and illnesses.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
However, insurance can apply to a great many things. Some celebrities choose to insure the parts of themselves that make them so special and earn them their money and notoriety so that if anything ever happens to them, they’ll know that they can keep making their money. We’ve tracked down some of the most out-there insurance policies that celebrities have written up to protect their “money-makers.”
Strange Celebrity Insurance Policies
1920’s film star Ben Turpin was famous for having crossed eyes and went so far as to insure them for $25,000. The website “DollarTimes” estimates that this would equate to almost $300,000 worth of insurance coverage in today’s money.
Mustaches can often be iconic embodiments of male vigor and vitality. When a celebrity becomes identified with his unique facial hair, he might take lengths to protect his earning potential if they are intertwined. Australian cricketer Merv Hughes did just that, insuring his ‘stache for $370,000.
In Britain, coffee taster Gennaro Pelliccia has a $14 million dollar policy on his tongue, whereas food critic Egon Ronay took out $400,000 worth of insurance on his taste buds. This all makes a lot of sense seeing as how neither man could do his job without these vital body parts.
Gene Simmons’ tongue is insured for more than twice that of Ronay’s, coming in at a million dollars.
Not that it’s a competition, but the Boss, Mr. Bruce Springsteen has insured his voice for $6 million dollars. Not nearly enough, says the great state of New Jersey.
The world of music boasts a hoard of strange insurance policies:
- Dolly Parton’s bountiful bosoms are worth $300,000 each.
- Keith Richards has a combined total of $16 million dollars worth of coverage for his 10 fingers.
- David Lee Roth went so far as to insure his own reproductive material – that’s right, his sperm are worth more than most people’s houses.
- But not worth as much as Tom Jones’ chest hair, which would cost some insurance company $7 million dollars if the crooner were involved in a terrible shaving accident.
- The biggest policy of all has got to be Jennifer Lopez’s billion-dollar-bottom. (For some perspective: a Trident nuclear submarine costs $1.7 billion dollars.)
- Mariah Carey insured her legs for a million dollars (total) and she’s not alone.
A list of other million dollar leg owners are:
- Jamie Lee Curtis
- Mary Hart
- Michael Flatley
- David Beckham
Werewolf, Vampire, & Alien Insurance?
Not all insurance is for things that are likely to happen to you, but part of buying insurance is paying for peace of mind. Some people take out insurance policies for things that most of us would find pretty far fetched. But if people are willing to pay, then there’s often someone out there who is willing to take their money. Some really “far out” types of insurance policies include:
- Werewolf: no word if that only covers injury or death, or what happens if you get turned into one.
- Vampire: same thing – also, what happens to your life insurance policy if you become “the undead?” Do they pay it out?
- Immaculate Conception: a religious miracle to some, but a total hassle to others.
- Alien Abduction: Some of us dream of meeting new alien species and exploring the galaxy, but few of us want to make this journey against our wills.
Alien Abduction Insurance Policies in Detail
- Lloyd’s of London has sold almost half a million alien abduction policies worldwide.
- It costs about $150 dollars for every $1.5 million dollars in coverage you want.
- Policy payouts can be as much as $1 million dollars…over $1 million years!
- There have been two alien abduction payouts, both from the St. Lawrence Insurance Agency in Florida.
- In a true victory for sexual equality, both men and women are covered in case of impregnation by aliens.
Promotions, Gambling, and the Rich and Famous
When a major company or brand comes out with a new promotion, they are gambling with their futures. To this end, some companies insure their advertising promotions against loss in order to keep themselves solvent and viable for the future. Pepsi recently insured a promotion for $1 billion dollars.
Many prestige insurance companies will take out policies similar to gambling, allowing people to wager on the outcomes of sporting events in sometimes unheard of numbers. Berkshire Hathaway wrote a policy for a Frenchman who would stood to rake in $30 million dollars if France won soccer’s (football’s?) World Cup.
Awards shows and other big events are a chance for celebrities, society’s peacocks (and peahens, even though they aren’t nearly as showy in real life) to strut their stuff and show off. For many of them, that means renting or otherwise securing some high class finery. And it all needs to be insured against loss or damage. In 2004, the Academy Awards show boasted $38 million dollars worth of insurance policies, written by Lloyd’s of London, to protect the assemblage of jewels there.
Saving Money on “Normal” Insurance Policies
You might not be ready to insure your legs or insure yourself against being abducted by aliens or being attacked by a hoard of werewolves but that’s OK.
If you would care to save some money on your plain old boring auto insurance policy or any other type of “normal” insurance then enter your zip below to comparison shop insurance rates from top companies and save some money. Sometimes boring is good, right? Get started seeing how much $$$ you might be able to save right now!