What is covered under a travel insurance plan depends on what type of travel insurance you purchase. A comprehensive plan can cover everything from illness to lost luggage while specific plans can cover individual things such as baggage, medical, accident and more.
Enter your zip code to receive insurance quotes now!
Typically, comprehensive travel insurance is reserved for international travel where it is possible that your health insurance coverage will not provide you with the coverage that you need should you have an accident. In the US, your health insurance should provide you with any emergency care that you may require while traveling.
It is always a good idea to check the terms of your health plan; some companies have strict no out of network concessions. This means that they don’t cover your medical care if you see a doctor out of network; this type of plan is usually much less costly, which is why people chose it.
In this case, you will want to purchase a domestic travel medical plan. Not every insurance company offers domestic travel medical, so you will have to shop around to find it.
What do you get with the different types of travel insurance?
There are actually quite a few different types of travel insurance coverage options that you can purchase. A comprehensive plan will include essentially every type of travel insurance, or you can purchase each type separately.
With a comprehensive plan you can expect to get baggage delay protection, lost baggage protection, trip cancellation, trip delay, medical care, emergency transportation (depending on the insurance company), pre-existing condition, dental, accidental death or dismemberment flight and accidental death or dismemberment non-flight.
Each of these different types of insurance options can be purchased individually. Whether you should purchase them individually really depends on your current medical insurance and what it covers.
Here is a breakdown of the different travel insurance options:
- Baggage delay – If your baggage is detained more than 12 hours, you are reimbursed for the cost of replacing certain essentials such as soap, a set of clothing, personal items, etc.
- Lost baggage – If the airlines declare your luggage lost, you will receive the replacement cost of your items. Airlines only offer market value, so if your jeans are 4 years old, they will give you a $3 reimbursement while the insurance company will give you the money it takes to actually replace them.
- Trip cancellation – Reimburses you for your ticket purchase price, loss on hotel deposits, etc. if your trip is suddenly cancelled. The terms of this one is tricky, for example, most insurance companies require the cancellation be due to an emergency or some sort, either personal or through the airline, cruise line, etc.
- Trip delay – If your trip is delayed for more than 6 hours, you could receive meal reimbursement and accommodation reimbursement. Airline delay insurance is one specific component of this.
- Medical care – This is simple. If you are sick or are injured, you receive the medical care that you need no matter where you are.
- Emergency transportation – You and a companion are transported to the US after you are stabilized after your medical emergency so that you can receive US care.
- Pre-existing condition – You have to be under a certain age to get this coverage.
- Dental – For emergency dental care such as a lost filling, crown, or root canal.
- Accidental Death or Dismemberment Travel – For flight or other types of travel, if you have an accident that cause your death or loss of limb, you or your family receives a pre determined amount of money.
Do you need travel insurance?
If you are taking a cruise, leaving the country, or planning travel well in advance, then the short answer for most people is yes. Travel insurance is very inexpensive, which means that you can get a comprehensive plan for under $100 and have every contingency covered. That sort of peace of mind is priceless.
Where can you buy travel insurance?
Travel insurance is sold by major insurance companies and by specialized insurance companies who only sell travel insurance. It is difficult to say which option is better. The best choice is to choose a company with a strong financial rating and a good claims payment profile so that you can be confident that you will receive the benefits that you pay for.
It is easy to find great options for travel insurance. We offer you a side by side comparison of insurance companies that offer travel insurance so that you can make your choice quickly and easily.
Just answer a few simple questions about when you are traveling, where you are heading, your age and gender and we will provide you with instant travel insurance quotes! Type in your zip code and try it today!