Can I park my car on the road without insurance?
Free Insurance Providers Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Mar 19, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance providers please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Parking your car on the road is a risk
- Many things could happen to your car that you cannot control, such as theft, vandalism, or flooding
- Having comprehensive insurance allows you to be covered for these unforeseen events
Car insurance protects people from financial disaster, legal action, other problems that sometimes result from a car accident. It gives you the assurance that, no matter what happens, you are taken care of on the road.
With standard insurance, you are covered for liability, personal injury, and property damage due to the accident. Accidents are the focus of car insurance. If you want to cover other things, you will need additional coverage.
Sometimes insurance is simple, but there are some instances that are a bit harder to understand. It is the little things that drivers worry about that they may have to do, such as parking their car on the road.
One simple incident like parking a car could potentially result in theft, vandalism, or another incident that might require insurance.
Make sure your properly protected for the best price. Enter you zip code above to begin comparing rates of top insurers.
What could happen to a car parked on the road?
One thing you should consider regarding where you park your car is what could happen to it while it is parked there. Depending on the area you leave the car, some things could occur that could jeopardize your investment:
- Theft – One of the greatest risks to leaving your car parked on a road or curb is that it may be an invitation to theft. Thieves depend on easy access. They want to get into a car quickly and take off, without being noticed. Parking your car on the side of a road gives them that access.
- Vandalism – Another thing that could happen to your car while parked is vandalism. Vandals are not out to steal a car. Their objective is to damage it. You are more likely to become a victim of vandalism in a high-crime area. But any car parked on the road could fall victim to passersby.
- Flood – Are you in a flood-prone area? Floods can occur without warning. Your car could be more likely to obtain damage or loss from flooding if it is parked on the side of a road, especially if the location is close to a river or water supply.
- Hurricane, tornado, or fire – “Acts of God,” such as weather events like hurricanes, tornadoes, or fire, are all capable of destroying or greatly damaging your vehicle.
- Unforeseen events – Like the other possible events, other things like objects from the sky, a baseball flying by from neighborhood kids, or hail damage could all cause damage.
Compare Insurance Providers Rates to Save Up to 75%
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Comprehensive Coverage for Unforeseen Events
The short answer to the question of whether you can park your car on the road without insurance is yes. However, if you do so, you are risking loss through any of the events we discussed in the above paragraph.
So how do you cover possible loss due to the above events? Comprehensive insurance is the only way that you will be covered for theft, vandalism, weather events, and any other damage that you incur from unforeseen events.
You are not required to carry comprehensive insurance, but these things will not be covered without it.
It is important to remember that having insurance in such cases is not enough. Car insurance was created primarily to protect drivers on the road from accidents.
It was meant to cover damages and injuries sustained in an auto collision, not theft or vandalism, hail, or weather events. So, to include this coverage, ask your online representative for comprehensive coverage.
When can you not park your car on the road?
Even though our short answer to whether you can park your car on the road without insurance is “yes,” we should qualify this by stating that it is not advisable.
You should carry insurance at all times, and comprehensive insurance gives you coverage for the other events such as flood, theft, and vandalism.
But if you have certain types of vehicles, such as classic cars, you should know that some classic car insurance companies will not honor your claims if you have left your vehicle out on the street.
In their view, this invites theft and vandalism. They require you to keep your classic vehicle locked in a safe place like a garage or storage shed to protect it.
Be sure to inquire about this when shopping for insurance so that you can get the coverage you need. Protecting your investment is important, whether your car is brand new or forty years of age.
You cannot afford to take the risk of loss without the possibility of replacement.
If you are a classic car owner and need classic car insurance, be sure to ask about this when shopping our site. You will need to specify that you are in need of classic car insurance if you own a collectors’ type vehicle.
How to Choose the Best Policy
Whether you are shopping for classic car insurance, comprehensive insurance, or standard auto insurance, we are connected to a wide variety of insurance providers who have your best interests at heart.
Feel free to shop our site, shop and compare, and choose the insurance provider that you feel the most comfortable with.
Choosing an insurance provider is not easy. But we have expert agents waiting to help you. Get your auto information together, identification information, and other required documents, then get the process started today.
Insurance is the one thing you don’t want to be without when an unforeseen event occurs. Insurance is there for the times you don’t expect.
After all, that’s what it’s for.