How do I switch car insurance providers?
Free Insurance Providers Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Mar 19, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance providers please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Determine when your old policy ends
- Shop for a new auto insurance policy by utilizing a comparison tool
- Read all the details of the new policies
- Choose the policy that best matches your driving habits and your budget
- Purchase your new insurance policy online
Are your car insurance rates too high? If you have noticed your premiums slowly increasing over the years to spite not changing your coverage, getting into a car accident or buying a new car, it may be time to switch insurance providers. To check the rates of other car insurance providers and policies, you can use an online comparison tool.
Need better auto coverage? Find the cheapest car insurance rates near you by entering your ZIP in our free quotes tool!
Reasons to Switch Car Insurance Companies
There are numerous reasons to switch car insurance companies, and if you haven’t shopped rates in several years, you could be missing out on getting a similar insurance policy for a lower price.
- Your rates have increased without warning or for no apparent reason.
- You’ve been in a car accident, and your insurance company does not provide accident forgiveness.
- You need to add a driver, but the rate on your current policy will increase beyond what you can afford.
- You are considering purchasing a new car.
- Your car insurance company recently canceled or refused to renew your policy.
- Your recent car insurance claim was denied.
Compare Insurance Providers Rates to Save Up to 75%
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Switching Car Insurance Companies
When it comes to switching car insurance companies, there are certain steps you must complete in order to successfully activate your new policy and cancel your old policy. Failing to complete a step or performing the steps out of order can result in an auto insurance coverage lapse, which could result in fines and penalties for not maintaining car insurance.
- Call your current insurance company – Before you start looking for new car insurance policies, you should call your current car insurance company to ask when your policy ends and if there are any fees associated with canceling your car insurance early.If there are fees associated with canceling your insurance early, you will need to decide if you can pay the fees or if you need to wait until the last 30 days of your policy to switch insurance carriers. Do not cancel your insurance at this stage. Canceling before you purchase a new policy can result in a lapse.
- Use a comparison tool – to locate new policies, use the services of an online comparison tool. Online comparison tools are free to use. After you input your information and submit it, the program will automatically search all the available policies against your criteria. Once several matches have been made, the program will display your results.
- Read through all the policies – Once you receive your results, you will be tempted to quickly scan through the policies and choose one according to the lowest price. This is not a wise decision. Instead, choose the policies according to the price and their details to make sure it offers the coverage you need.
- Choose a policy – Once you have read the information in all of the policies, choose the one that best meets your current and future needs as well as your budget.
- Purchase the policy – Many comparison tools allow you to purchase the policy online. All you have to do is select your desired car insurance policy, accept the terms and purchase it using your credit card or bank account.
- Print the policy information – Once you’ve made your purchase, print the policy information and your temporary insurance cards. Once you have the information printed, make sure is resembles what you read online.
- Confirm your policy is active – After your online transaction is complete and you’ve printed all the forms for your new insurance policy, confirm that it is active either by logging into your online account or calling your new insurance company.
- Cancel your old insurance policy – Call your old insurance company and cancel your old policy.
When you use a comparison tool to shop for car insurance, you are helping to ensure that you are getting the best rates available for your local area. Just make sure that your current policy is active before canceling your old policy. Canceling your old policy before your new coverage is active could result in a lapse in insurance coverage and harsh fines and penalties.
Don’t waste your time. Compare car insurance quotes from top providers today by using our free search tool below!