Chelsey Tucker graduated with a Bachelor of History degree from Metropolitan State University in 2019. She now writes about insurance with her specialty being life insurance and has been quoted on Help Smart Phone and MEL Magazine.

Full Bio →

Written by

Dan Walker graduated with a BS in Administrative Management in 2005 and has been working in his family’s insurance agency, FCI Agency, for 15 years. He is licensed as an agent to write property and casualty insurance, including home, auto, umbrella, and dwelling fire insurance. He’s also been featured on sites like

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Daniel Walker
Licensed Auto Insurance Agent

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance providers please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.

PLPD Car Insurance

Property Liability and Property Damage (PLPD) is just one type of auto insurance you can buy in addition to liability auto insurance, no fault insurance, and full coverage insurance for your car.

The type of auto insurance you buy will depend on your needs. Liability is the bare minimum, no fault is required by certain states, and full coverage gives you the most protection.

Read on to learn all about PLPD, full coverage, and no fault auto insurance and then to find the very best auto insurance for your needs just enter your zip code above to compare free insurance plans!

Public Liability and Property Damage Auto Insurance

Public Liability and Property Damage, also known as PLDL, is often confused with Property Liability and Property Damage (PLPD) insurance that will be covered below in the liability auto insurance section. As on overview PLDL insurance is bought by businesses that perform work in public places. Contractors and electricians are two examples of businesses that may require PLDL. Anybody that performs work in a public place, whether commercial or residential, should have PLDL and be able to furnish you with a certificate of it upon request.

PLDL is important because if anybody gets hurt while performing duties on your premises, you (and your personal liability insurance) may be held responsible. Furthermore, if the person doing the work damages any of your property, you will not get reimbursed if they don’t have PLDL. When you hire someone to work on your property and they have PLDL, then their insurance will cover any injuries sustained, such as falling from a ladder, as well as any damage that occurs, such as breaking a window or scratching your floor.

Although Public Liability and Property Damage coverage does not pertain to auto insurance, a similar type of insurance is available for cars. Liability is the most basic insurance you can buy for your auto and this is what is required by the majority of states in order to legally drive. Liability provides coverage for bodily injury, death, and property damage all with a single policy.

Are you ready for insurance quotes for PLPD, no fault, and/or full coverage? Well, no matter what type of auto insurance policy you are looking for – just enter your zip in now for free quotes!

Free Insurance Providers Comparison

Compare Insurance Providers Rates to Save Up to 75%

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


Liability only protects you financially in the event you are at fault for an accident. If you hit someone else, then your liability insurance will pay for their medical bills, funeral expenses, and auto or other physical property damage that you caused. Liability insurance will not cover any of your personal expenses.

In order to receive medical reimbursement for your own injuries then you need either medical coverage of Personal Injury Protection, which is often referred to as No Fault Coverage. In order to submit a claim for property damage, you need Collision and Comprehensive coverage, which is usually deemed as Full Coverage.

Compare Insurance Providers Rates to Save Up to 75%

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

No Fault Auto Insurance

In response to numerous and frivolous law suits arising from car accidents, some states decided to govern themselves as No Fault states. This means that fault is not assigned in a car accident and that everyone is responsible for his or her own medical expenses that result from an accident. Known as No Fault Insurance, states that utilize a no fault system require every driver to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP).
With Personal Injury Protection, if you are in an accident, regardless of who is at fault, your insurance will cover your medical or funeral expenses up to the policy limits.

Sometimes law suits can still be pursued against another party for medical reimbursement in no fault states, but there are certain standards that must be met, such as excessive medical bills that do not come close to being met by policy limits. Law suits still happen, but the amount of law suits initiated every year is drastically reduced.

Full Coverage Auto Insurance

While liability insurance protects any party you injure, and PIP offers medical coverage for your own bodily injury, without Full Coverage you do not have any insurance that will reimburse you for damages sustained to your own car. In order to have auto insurance that pays for your car, you need collision and comprehensive coverage.

Collision and comprehensive are usually purchased together, although they can sometimes be bought separately. Collision insurance is what reimburses you for any damage sustained by your car in the event of an accident or any collision, including your car getting hit by a runaway shopping cart.

Comprehensive insurance pays for car damages sustained in other ways, such as storm damage, fire, or theft. Together, collision and comprehensive offer you near complete auto insurance. (Obviously the medical portion from PIP is not a part of this.) Since you already have liability insurance as required by law, adding collision and comprehensive insurance gives you what the industry terms full coverage auto insurance.

Depending on your needs, liability insurance may be the only coverage you choose to buy. Although the state only requires a minimum amount of coverage, it is a good idea to purchase higher limit coverage if you can afford it. If you live in a no fault state, you will have to buy PIP insurance.

Regardless of where you live and what legal requirements exist, if you want full coverage you will need to add collision and comprehensive to your auto insurance policy.

Free Auto Insurance Quotes

To get no obligation quotes for all types of auto insurance now, just enter your zip code into our free car insurance comparison tool now!