Will Medicare Pay for a Cochlear Implant?
If you're asking yourself whether Medicare covers a cochlear implant, you should know that Medicare will cover up to 80% of cochlear implants and surgery if you meet all eligibility requirements. You'll have to pay the other 20% of the price. However, Medicare Advantage has an annual out-of-pocket spending limit.
Free Insurance Providers Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Dec 6, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance providers please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Meeting all eligible criteria will allow Medicare to cover 80% of your cochlear implants and surgery
- A Medicare Advantage plan may help cover out-of-pocket costs
- Not only you, but your care provider must meet a certain set of eligibility criteria
Under Medicare Part B, necessary and preventative services are covered. With cochlear implants falling under the medical equipment umbrella, it is more likely than not that the implants will be covered by Medicare.
Are you wondering “Does Medicare cover cochlear implant?”
Medicare does not cover the entire cost of the implants and surgery, but with the help of a Medicare Advantage plan, out-of-pocket costs can be covered. Depending on your needs, it may be a good idea to look into long-term care insurance as well.
Speak to your provider to check if Medicare does pay for cochlear implant. Find out if you meet the eligibility requirements for cochlear implants. Enter your ZIP code and get a free quote on Medicare insurance today.
What are the cochlear implant costs with Medicare?
Well, does Medicare really cover cochlear implants?
If you meet all eligibility criteria, and your care provider meets certain criteria, then Medicare will pay for up to 80% of the costs for cochlear implants and surgery.
If Medicare pays for 80% of the costs, then you are responsible for the other 20%. Cochlear implants are covered by most insurance companies because they are used to treat to severe-to-profound hearing loss.
Medicare Part B covers medically necessary and preventative services. This would include doctor visits, outpatient care, cancer screenings, medical equipment, and more.
Under Medicare Part B, cochlear implants are considered prosthetic devices.
A Medicare Advantage plan may help cover cochlear implants. This would vary per person, so speak to your provider. Prior authorization may be required. Medicare Advantage includes an annual out-of-pocket spending limit, which can cap what you spend on out-of-pocket Medicare costs each year.
How do I know if I am eligible for cochlear implant Medicare coverage?
Medicare isn’t always considered a traditional type of insurance; sometimes it is known as other insurance. There is a list of elibigility criteria that you must meet in order to receive Medicare coverage on your cochlear implants and surgery. The criteria are as follows:
- You must be able to recognize sentences while wearing your hearing aids 40% of the time or less.
- You must have a diagnosis of bilateral moderate-to-profound sensorineural hearing impairment with limited benefits from hearing aids.
- You should be able to use auditory clues and have a willingness to undergo a rehabilitation program.
- You should have no medical problems that could put you at risk in surgery.
- There should be no middle ear infection.
- You must have an accessible cochlear lumen that can support the implantation.
- You should have no lesions in the auditory nerve and acoustic areas of the central nervous system
If you meet all of the above criteria, then you should make sure that your care provider meets the eligibility requirements they need to in order for you to receive coverage.
Care Provider Eligibility
Care provider eligibility is not as complex as the criteria that each individual has to meet. There are three things that need to happen:
- The care provider should be in the FDA approved category B IDE clinical trial.
- The trial should be under the CMS Clinical Trial Policy.
- The trial must be a controlled comparative trial approved by CMS and consistent with evidentiary requirements for National Coverage Analyses meeting a specific quality of standards.
FDA-Approved Cochlear Implants
Care providers can find FDA-approved cochlear implants from three different companies.
- Advanced Bionics Corp.
- MED-EL Corp.
It is imperative to have FDA-approved cochlear implants to ensure that you are up-to-date with the implant technology. You can find providers directly through the Medicare website.
Get the breakdown of your cochlear implant costs, and see how Medicare will cover it for you. Enter your ZIP code to get free quotes on Medicare plans available near you.